Thursday, January 29, 2009
Akki Rotti(Rice and Cucumber Roti)
This one is my Father's fav dish and my Mom makes this all the time .One can have this roti during breakfast or dinner time. There are few variations in making akki roti...Some make this with rice flour alone.But I have used rice and cucumber together to prepare the batter.Cucumber gives great fresh aroma to your akki roti also kind of makes the roti softer from inside and the rice flour makes it like crispy from outside. It takes a while for the preparation but believe me after making this roti you will know excatly what i am refereing to, it's worth all the effort. This dish will leave you wanting for more, very tasty indeed .!!!. here comes my HAVYAKA STYLE ...Akki rotti Rceipe ...enjoi !!
2 cups sona masoori rice
2tbs urad dal
1 large english cucumber
salt to taste
rice flour for rolling
1) Wash and soak the rice and urad dal for 2 hours .
2) Peel and cut the cucumber and take juice out off this.
3) Grind the rice mixcture using cucumber juice .this batter should be thiner than the dosa batter.
4) Take the heavy bottom pan,switch on the gas and put this rice batter and stirr this mixture for 10 -20 minutes without any lumps .Rice batter should form a single dumpling.
5)It looks like chapati dough and make sure that dough should not stick to your hand .Knead the dough well still it is warm.You can use rice flour for kneading.
6) Cool this for 1/2 hour and take desire amount of dough, using rice flour roll the dough just like chapati /roti .
7) Heat the tawa and bake the roti both side , then help of tongs ,place the roti directly on the gas flame .it will rise like poori ,then turn to the otherside .
8) Repeat the same to all the remaining dough .Serve hot with any dry ,spicy curry .Enjoi !!
Akki Rotti(Rice Cucumber Roti) & Jenu Kolu(Honey Sticks) are my entries to Harvest: The Festival Of Rice on Here I Cook