Thursday, April 30, 2009
carrot and spinach flower
2 cups basamati rice
1/2 cup carrot garted
1/2 cup spinach fresh/frozen nicely chopped
1/2 cup lema beans
1/4 cup peas
1 large onion nicely chopped
1tomato nicely chopped
1tsp fresh ginger grated
1tsp fresh garlic minced
2 cinamon stick
3-4 green chillies
2tsp cumin seeds
1.5 cups water
salt to taste
1) Soak the basamati rice for 1/2 an hour
2) Pour 2 tbs oil in a pressure cooker, once the oil get's hotter add cumin seeds ,1 cinnamon stick, couple of cloves .
3) Then add chopped ginger , garlic ,onion saute till it turns brown then add sliced tomato, green chillies, frozen or fresh spinach ,carrot freshly grated and peas and lema beans .
4) Now add the soaked rice to the above mixture and pour a cup of water, put the salt per taste.
5) Well.. close the pressure cooker and put the wight and let it cook well.I
think 2 whistles r enough.
6) Once the cooking is all done serve with fresh raitha.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
This one is actually typical Havyaka dosa. I make this dosa in most of the weekends. My husband likes the aroma and texture of this dosa. In his own words "It's King of dosa's in the real sense in that it looks pretty,tastes great and healthier as well as it has cucumber(less carb more vitamin c)". Eat it with coconut chutney and a little bit of fresh ghee and you won't ask for more. :-)
2 large english cucumber
2 cups idli rice
4tbs urad dal
salt to taste
1) Wash and soak the rice,urad dal for 3-4 hours .
2) Wash and peel the skin of cucumber and cut this in to small little pieces .
3) Grind together cucumber pieces and rice mixture to make fine paste .Mix the salt and jaggery and keep it aside for 1-2 hours .
4) Heat the tawa ,brush little oil and make a paper thin dosa that i have shown below using plastic sheet or banana leaf.
You can also use this banana leaf for spreading the dosa .
5) Serve hot with any chutney or sabzi of your choice ..Enjoi :D
My very close friends Priya sriram ,Sangeetha ,Laxmi ,And many more friends have passed on this cute award to me. Thanks a lot dear friends . I am passing on this award to all my blogger buddies, who have been encouraging me to share more recipes.
Please pick this award. :)
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
for ragi mudde/finger millet:
2cups ragi flour
3 cups water
1.5 tsp salt
1 tbs oil
For Avare kayi saaru
1cup frozen avare kalu/surti papdi ( soaked in the water and de -skined )
1/4 cup toor dal
1/2 tsp turmaric powder
for masala paste
6-7 byadagi chillies
2tbs coriander seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
pinch of hing
1tsp turmeric powder
small lemon size tamarind
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic
little jaggery (Optional)
Ragi mudde /finger millet
1) Take a heavy bottom pan and put 2.5 cups of water,oil ,salt and bring it to boil ..then add the ragi flour and mix it well.stirri continuously so that no lumps are formed.
2) Remove from the stove and wet your hand and make ragi balls .
3) Sprinkle little water on the top ,simmer gas, cover the lid ,Then let it cook for another 4-5 minutes
4) Serve hot with Avarekayi saaru or soppina saaru /gravy of your choice .
Avare kayi saaru :
1) Pressure cook the toor dal , de-skined surti papdi and little turmeric powder .
2)Take pan and dry roast the masal ingredients (badagi chillies,coriander seeds,mustrdseeds,sesame seeds,hing,and tumaric powder ). Then grind the masal ingrdients with tamarind, onion and garlic with required amount of water.
3)Mix the cooked papdi,masala paste and salt and bring this to boil for 15-20 minutes.
4) Switch of the gas and serve hot with ragi mudde .Enjoi .:D
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
1 store bought salad pack
2tbs roasted almond
6-7 plain croutons
4-5 strawberry /any fruits of your choice
2 tbs Italian dressing
1tbs thousand island dressing
1 seedless baby cucumber chopped lengthwise
1 carrot chopped in to cubes
broccali nicely chopped
1 large red onion chopped lengthwise
4-5 cherry tomatos.
1/ 4 capsicum nicely chopped lengthwise
4-5 maltigrain chips (optional)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp pepper flakes (optional)
Method :1) Spread all the fruits ,vegetables on the salad bowl(nicely wash and drain all the fruits and veggies ) and mix the chopped onion ,almond slices,little salt and pepper ,pepper flakes.
2)Then add dressing ( Italian and thousand island ) mix it with all the fruits and vegetables and serve with some croutons and maltigrain chips on the top . Enjoi :D
Sunday, April 5, 2009
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened choco powder
1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 tsp Ener g egg replacer /3 eggs
1tsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half & half milk
2tbs powdered sugar
Betty crocker chocolate icing
2tbs orange curls
1/2 cup grated chocolate curls
1) Preheat the oven 325 f and take 8"round baking pan and lightly grease it , dust it with little all purpose flour or choco powder .
2) Shift together all the dry ingredients (all purpose flour ,baking powder,choco powder,sugar,egg replacer ,instant coffee powder) mix it well .
3) Add all the wet ingredients one by one .
4) Then add orange zest and mix together .
5) By using electric mixer, beat all the ingredients to combine together about 2-3 minutes .
6)Pour the batter in to baking pan and tap it to spread evenly.
7) Bake this about 30-45 minutes till the tooth pick comes out cleanly .
8) Leave it in the pan for 10 minutes and leave this on the rack for 1/2 hour to cool down completely .
1) I have used betty crocker chocolate icing for frosting ,frost the cake sides and top very evenly .
2) Decorate this with some orange curls ,and grated chocolate curls.Then pipe the design of your choice (using half and half milk and sugar beat this well till it gets good creamy consistency) .
3) Garnish with some orange slices and serve chilled .Enjoi :)
I am sending this wonderful chochlate orange cake to For the Love of Chocolate hosted by Poornima nair .